The following subject guide represents only a small portion of our collections, and does not represent all of the subject strengths of our collections. Please remember that the listed titles are only those in Special Collections-- many other sources can be found in other departments of the Library.
Though every attempt will be made to keep these guides current, please keep in mind that our collections are growing daily and we add titles in all subjects on an ongoing basis. Items appearing on lists without call numbers have not yet been catalogued; however, they are still accessible to interested researchers. If you would like to find out more about items in Special Collections or have a specific reference question, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject Guide to Yakima County
Central Washington University
Prepared by Anne Taylor
For information about Native American Yakimas, please see the Native American Subject Guide.
- Adeline, A. R. Hellenic Heritage: A History of Greek Immigrants in the Yakima Valley through 1950. Yakima: the author, 1961.
- Amen, Ruth M., ed. Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia 8(3): 1985.
- Bentley, Robert D. Stratigraphy and Structure of the Ykaima Indian Reservation. Renton, VA: United States Geographical Survey, 1980.
- Bjarke, Neils. Naches Pass Trail. Tacoma: Fern Hill Historical Society, 1942.
- Brulotte, Frieda. Germans from Russia in the Yakima Valley Prior to 1940. Yakima: Central Washington Chapter of the American Historical Society of Germans, 1990.
- Crawford, Jeanne R. As the Valley Was. Yakima: Yakima Federal Savings and Loan, 1968.
- Crawford, Jeanne R. Wheels Led the Way. Yakima: Yakima Valley Museum, 1973.
- Douglas, William O. Of Men and Mountains. New York: Harper, 1950.
- Gibson, Elizabeth. Images of America: Yakima, Washington. Chicago: Arcadia Publishing, 2004.
- Guie, H. Dean. Bugles in the Valley. Portland: Oregon Historical Society, 1977.
- Helland, Maurice. They Knew Our Valley. Yakima: the author, 1975.
- Helland, Maurice. Our Valley, Too. Yakima: the author, 1976.
- Holt, Howard P. Saddlebag Medicine. Yakima: Yakima Valley Museum Shop, 1984.
- Kimmel, Thelma. The Fort Simcoe Story. Toppenish: The Toppenish Review, 1954.
- Lince, Robert S. The Selah Story. Selah: Selah Valley Optimist Printing, 1984.
- Lyman, William Denison. History of the Yakima Valley . Chicago: S. J. Clarke, 1919.
- Martin, George M. Yakima , A Centennial Reflection. Yakima: Yakima Centennial Commission, 1985.
- McCulloch, Mac. Gateway to Time: Mile by Mile Guide to the Yakima Canyon. Yakima: Shields Printing, 1990.
- McLachlan,, Diana. Common Thread: Quilts in the Yakima Valley . Yakima: Yakima Valley Museum, 1985.
- McRayde, Edna. Zillah, Washington. Zillah: the author?, 1988.
- Nelson, Jack. We Never Got Away. Yakima: Franklin Press, 1965.
- Probasco, Steve. Yakima, River Journal. Portland: Frank Amato Press, 1994.
- Robertson, Ted. How the Twig Was Bent. Yakima: Franklin Press, 1970.
- Rockafellar, Nancy, ed. From Saddlebags to Scanners. Seattle: Washington State Medical Association, 1989.
- Sheller, Roscoe. Courage and Water. Portland: Binfords and Mort, 1952.
- Sheller, Roscoe. Walter N. Granger and the Sunnyside Canal . Yakima: the author, 1961.
- Sheller, Roscoe. Sunnyside at 60. Yakima: the author, 1962.
- Sheller, Roscoe. Blowsand. Yakima: Franklin Press, 1973.
- Skinner, Barbara A. The Sandpile. Prosser: Barry Books, 2002.
- Smith, Harlan. Archaeology of the Yakima Valley . Washington, D. C.: Government Printing Office, 1910.
- Stepniewski, Andrew. Birds of the Yakima River Canyon . Wenatchee: Wenatchee Resource Area, 1992.
- Valley of the Strong: Stories of Yakima and Central Washington. Yakima: Wescoast Publishing, 1974.
- “Yakima Irrigation Scheme.” The West Shore: An Illustrated Western Magazine November 1887, p. 812.
- “Yakima Real Esatate.” The West Shore: An Illustrated Western Magazine June 1889, p. 340.
- Yakima Valley Memories II: The 1940s, ‘50s, and ‘60s. Yakima: Yakima Herald Republic, 2005.