What to Expect at the Libraries
Ask the Libraries
Instruction & Course Support
Winter Quarter Access
First two weeks of winter quarter: January 4, 2021 - January 18, 2021
- Brooks Library closed
- Curbside pickup and online services available
- Exception: Monday, January 18, Martin Luther King Jr. Day: curbside pickup closed, online services available
Remainder of winter quarter 2021
- Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am - 9:00 pm
- Friday: 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Saturday: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Sunday: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Exception: Monday, February 15, Presidents Day: 3:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Brooks Library will reopen Tuesday, January 19.
- Brooks Library will be closed to in-person services to coincide with CWU classes being held online the first two weeks of the winter quarter.
- Hours are subject to change. Check our hours page for the most up-to-date information.
- Spaces and seating are modified for appropriate physical distancing. Please leave furniture in place.
- Main stairs are used to move up through the building and back stairs are used to move down through the building.
- Spaces are regularly cleaned and disinfected.
- Reservable study rooms will be available for individual use.
- The family study space is currently unavailable.
- Jimmy B's cafe will be closed for the remainder academic year. 1891 Cafe & Market, across the street from Brooks Library in Northside Commons, remains open.
- The Library Centers located at Des Moines and Lynnwood will reopen once their host campuses are able to do so.
All students, faculty, staff, and visitors to campus (as well as to Brooks Library) must wear face coverings at all times. Wearing face coverings in public is Washington state law as it reduces the transmission of airborne pathogens, such as the coronavirus.
- Disposable face covering are available at the first floor service desk for users who forget theirs.
See the university’s stay safe guide for the key safety measures that everyone who visits campus must follow.
Ask the Libraries
Research and general library support is available through 24/7 chat assistance, virtual research consultations, and via phone and email. We’re here to help!
Instruction & Course Support
- Get in touch with your subject librarian to set up instruction for your class or submit an instruction request.
- See our instruction & course support page for more information about instruction services.
Open Educational Resources (OERs) are educational resources that are free to use in your teaching and learning.
Remote access is available to significant digital collections including ebooks, ejournals, and streaming media, discoverable through our integrated OneSearch catalog and our subscriptions to subject databases and collections—all accessible on- and off-campus with your CWU login. We have many new and trial databases, noted on the right side of our A-Z database list, to support online learning and research.
CWU students, faculty, and staff may request CWU Libraries books and media from OneSearch. You can either setup a Brooks Library curbside pickup appointment or, for users outside of Ellensburg, request that we mail items to your home address. Once your material is available, we will contact you to determine your preference. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Summit & interlibrary loan
Physical item requesting through Summit and interlibrary loan and is now available. Many libraries remain closed and may be unable to lend us material, but we'll do our best to fill your request. Once received, your item will be placed in a short quarantine. The above pickup and delivery options are available.
Article & chapter scans
We will scan and deliver articles and book chapters from our collection and deliver them to your email within 24 hours. Find material and place requests through OneSearch. Due to copyright and administrative restrictions, we can only offer scanning of reasonable and limited portions of works.
Access to specialized collections
Government Publications, Music Library, and Curriculum Library materials are available by request only. Please call 509-963-3682 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Music Library equipment is available in reservable study room 355 when the library is open.
Due dates & late fees
Your CWU Libraries, Summit, and interlibrary loan items were automatically renewed for you until the beginning of spring quarter 2021. All long-term late fees accrued during this period will be waived. Library users are responsible for overdue fees on short-term material such as laptops and course reserves.
Returning checked-out material
Books and media, including Summit and interlibrary loan materials, may be returned to the book drop near the front entrance of Brooks Library. Returns may also be made at an Orbis Cascade Alliance member library. Please check individual library websites to confirm they are accepting returns.
If the above options are not available to you, please contact us us at 509-963-3682 or email@example.com for additional accommodations.
Laptops and a variety of other materials are available at the libraries for short-term checkout. During the first two weeks of winter quarter 2021, while Brooks Library is closed, equipment is available and will be due on January 20, 2021. Please contact us at 509-963-3682 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request equipment and setup a date and time for curbside pickup. See the borrow & request page for more information.